Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Tips: Combining Coupons and Sales

In an effort to keep my spending under control, I've been combining coupons with sale prices to get the best possible deal and reading my receipts very carefully. And sometimes, when a deal is particularly good, reading the receipt puts a big smile on my face.

For example, last week Walgreens had a coupon for $5 off a purchase of $20 or more. I also needed to pick up some make-up and I had two Maybelline coupons, one for $2 off a foundation and another for $1 off eye make-up. They were in the Sunday paper a few weeks ago but with a good three months before they expired, so I clipped them and waited for the right time.

The right time happened to be last Friday, when Walgreens advertised all Maybelline cosmetics at buy one, get one half off. I picked out my foundation, marked at $9.99, and mascara, marked at $7.99. At regular price, that added up to $17.98. With the sale promotion, it came to $13.98, saving me about $4. But throw in my manufacturer's coupons, and it took $2 off the sale price of the foundation and $1 off the sale price of the mascara. My total for my make-up: $11.98.

Then I just needed to pick up some cough syrup for my sister to bring my total to $20 after the promos and coupons, and use that last $5 coupon for my entire purchase. Sweet!

No comments: