Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Recipe: Easy Cabbage and Sausage Soup

Necessity is the mother of invention. In this case, I came up with this soup recipe when I was stuck at home waiting for a contractor and trying to cook with only the ingredients I had on hand.

Easy Cabbage and Sausage Soup
1 package heat-and-serve sausage (I used Andouille, which gave it a nice flavor)
Approximately 1/4 to 1/2 head of green cabbage, shredded
1 package chicken stock
6 slices of Pancetta
1 tbsp olive oil
Salt and Pepper to taste

You can probably add whatever vegetables you have on hand. I didn't have any at the time.

In a large saucepan, heat the oil and add the sausage. Cook about half-way according to the package instructions, then remove from saucepan and slice. Return to saucepan and add shredded cabbage and just enough chicken stock to cover. Add the pancetta, salt and pepper and simmer until the liquid reduces and the sausage is fully cooked.

I would have liked it to thicken up a bit more, but I didn't realize until after I added the chicken broth that the cabbage gives off some water as it cooks, thinning the soup out. Potatoes or rice would have been a great addition if I had them.

No comments: