Thursday, September 18, 2008

Recipes: Easy Banana Vineagrette

One of my favorite restaurant serves a salad with a banana-ginger vinaigrette that I just love. Unfortunately, as my job situation changed, I had to accept that I just couldn't eat out as often as I use to. When I discovered organic banana vinegar by Kopali Organics at my local Whole Foods, I thought I'd take a shot at making it at home. The amounts are approximate. I usually eyeball it when making it at home.

Kopali does not add any sweetener to their organic vinegars, so while it smells delicious, the taste is somewhat bitter. For my salad dressing, I'll usually add Splenda since I live with diabetics and it's more accessible than other sweeteners. Also, I recently discovered walnut oil from The Olive Tap and sometimes substitute it for the extra virgin olive oil.


Easy Banana Vinaigrette
1/4 cup banana vinegar
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp Sugar (or substitute honey or Splenda, depending on your needs)
Salt and Pepper to taste
Optional: I added garlic sea salt and found that it gave it a bit more kick

Combine all ingredients and whisk until well blended. Toss with salad and serve.

For the salad itself, I like to do shredded cabbage tossed with wonton noodles or slivered almonds.

No comments: