Sunday, November 2, 2008

Recipe: Bread Pudding


Haven't tried making anything like this before, but I had milk and eggs that would otherwise go bad if I left them in the fridge while I'm on vacation. It's worth a try, since I've also got some stale bread around.



Bread Pudding
2 cups milk*
1/4 cup butter
2/3 cup sugar*
3 eggs*
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract -- skipped because I didn't have any
3 cups bread, torn into small pieces (French bread is recommended, but anything will do)
1/2 cup raisins or berries

*If you're trying to be healthy, I substituted soy milk, Splenda and Egg Beaters without a problem.

In medium saucepan, over medium heat, heat milk just until film forms over top. Combine butter and milk, stirring until butter is melted. Cool to lukewarm.

Combine sugar, eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer at medium speed for 1 minute. Slowly add milk mixture. Note: I don't seem to have an electric mixer, so I'm beating this by hand with a wire whisk. It came out just fine.

Place bread in a lightly greased 1 1/2 quart casserole.

Sprinkle with raisins or berries if desired. Pour batter on top of bread.

Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 to 50 minutes or until set. Serve warm.

Verdict: It came out really nicely. It was actually pretty well done at 40 minutes and was a bit overdone in a few more minutes, so just watch it once it's in the oven.

[Recipe adapted from MomsWhoThink.com]

No comments: